Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hookah-ing Up Astoria

I've become a cheap bastard in New York. My money supplies have been reduced to the point I have to put foreign currency and maxed-out cards in my wallet, just to feel like a functioning member of Capitalism. I've been surviving on pasta, stolen Wireless and cigarettes.
To save money, I've been hanging out in my place with friends and beers. A couple days ago, we decided to change things a little, so we went to a 5-dollar hookah coffee shop in Steinway Street, in Astoria.
The place looked like a run-down house. Some Egyptian men were chatting in there, and they greeted us as we walked in, smoke coming out of their mouths. "Hello," they would say, and as I asked them how they were doing, they smiled like fruit-flavored chimneys.
A man dressed in a yellow shirt, who looked like the owner, sat in the table next to us with his friend. "Hi, how are you doing?" I said, and he said he was doing good. He said he was from Egypt, and his friend recommended us the apple-flavored hookah, so we got it.
"So, why did you come here?" I asked him, and he started talking in what I presume was Arabic. I kept on smoking my apple-flavored hookah, letting the bubbles rise. No Arabic came out of my mouth, just apple-smelling smoke. I turned to talk to the people in my table.
As we were leaving, his friend told us to come back anytime. "We will," I said, and we stepped out into a street with parked yellow cabs and smoking coffee shops. I jumped over a few trash bags to get into my friend's car, and we took the expressway out of there.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Hookah as in, shisha? :D hahahahaha! What? You put foreign bills into your wallet to feel like, what? XD I sort of do that too. But I put old money in to cover the fact that I am, always, broke! :D hahahaha!
Did it taste nice? XD

Peetwi said...

Jinny JinJin! I didn't know you had a blog!! Que barbaridad I have to go snooping and facebook stalking you para darme cuenta!
-You shoul dknow who this is I doubt anyone else calls you Jinny Jin-Jin =)

CarroƱa said...

hi Jin, nice blog, but you must keep writing... it have been a lot of time since you wrote last time...
you could write a lot of things, you 're always moving!
it might be interesting...
aniong aseoh